Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Benign Neglect


Well, here goes…


Why do yogis lie still and silent for several minutes after a strenuous class?  Why, when we are faced with a problem or decision, do we say we’ll “sleep on it,” or the name of that actor come to you hours after the conversation where you were trying to remember it?  

I injured my back many months ago and it seemed to be quite an intractable injury.  Response to physical therapy was minimal and short-term.  I refused to accept this painful and circumscribed existence as permanent so I set myself a regimen of physical exercise combined with daily applications of heat and cold.  Ever so infinitesimally slowly, my back began to improve.  But of course life, and obligations, and illness have a way of intervening.  I was laid up with bad bronchitis and couldn’t move out of bed for days.  Afterwards I noticed that, far from back-sliding from the lack of exercise, my back actually felt better!  Since then I’ve noticed that my injury continues to improve when my routine alternates with infrequent and brief periods of what I’ve come to think of as benign neglect.  These periods aren’t usually planned but they occur and then I notice the continued improvement.

The brain is a wondrous organ that continues to process long after we have ceased our mental or physical exertions.  So sometimes there is benefit in Not Doing.

It’s the same with practicing.  While I’m a big advocate of regular, intentional practicing (and plan to write about that topic here), I have noticed that when there are a couple of weeks in a row when I don’t get to sing, I am in terrific shape when I go back to it.  It’s the same thing when I see a student in the fall who hasn’t taken lessons all summer.  Not only are they usually singing at least as well as when we left off, but as a teacher I benefit from hearing them with new ears after a long break.  It’s an extraordinarily lucky phenomenon, right?  

Now, please note that I am not advocating slacking off!!  It only works if your every-day, week in-week out routine is regular practice!  Also note that “benign” is an important part of the Benign Neglect idea.  If you are off in summer camp screaming your head off, or partying for a couple of weeks instead of practicing, believe me, there will be no benefits – only problems. 

But it’s worthwhile to know that you don’t have to worry or beat yourself up when those times arise when practicing or singing just isn’t possible. 

Now go practice!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Every muscle needs to recover after focused exertion. It is like breathing: You cannot breathe in forever, you have to let it out sometimes.

    In the film Searching for Bobby Fischer, we learn that sometimes it's helpful to plot and plan and study theory, and sometimes it is nest to act on intuition.

    Immoderation in all things... alternately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Here's my voice.
    http://operashaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete